Saturday, October 4, 2008

End of CBT I

With all of one month of training under my belt, I bring you “True Confessions”:

I like the small glass of warm, full fat, sugared milk w/a tsp of Nescafe at dinner
I like the extended greetings when you meet people, esp. those you already know
Using a Turkish toilet means sometimes you pee on your foot accidentally
I bring my own towel into the bathroom to wash my hands (I’m the only one using tp)
I’ve become very flexible about meal times
I don’t miss TV (Note: even a very basic one room home has a TV and satellite reception, and the TV is on every night, but it’s all in Moroccan Arabic)
I’ve only read ¼ of one of the books I brought
I like not worrying about my hair or makeup-and it looks just fine
I sometimes take my time getting home after class-after all, I'll have all evening long trying to speak Darija w/the family
Sweet mint tea is good to sip
It’s nice to be able to greet the neighbors, friends and family I’ve met when I see them in town
I don’t think it’s strange to share the same footpath w/a flock of sheep
I need to find a way to get more fruit and veggies into the diet-it’s been very carb-loaded
I no longer even hear the call to prayer that is broadcast 5 times a day
I’m ok w/the squatting and standing over the turkish toilet to take a bucket shower (esp if I have warm water), and actually prefer this method of bathing to going to the hammam (like a 2 hr bath-ugh! Not for me!)
Flip flops were the best purchase so far (see all bit lma comments)
All of our project ideas are within the capability of any of the volunteers, regardless of their backgrounds and experience.
You get used to the smells
The hanut that sells umbrellas, hardware, diet coke and REAL gouda cheese is the best and they’re patient enough to let me do all my business (incl currency) in Darija-love it
I haven’t driven a car in a month and I don’t miss it one bit
Cleanliness and personal hygiene have different standards here-one of the more difficult adjustments
I’m getting good at dealing w/ambiguity
I’ve never liked the idea of journaling-really don’t like writing, but I’m finding that blogging is therapeutic.
If someone were to ask me to make a decision right now about being posted to a small village or a big town, I’d have trouble deciding. The small village offers community, integration, impact possibilities to a greater extent, but has fewer amenities. Big town has the amenities, but harder to identify a community within the town to work with and become a part of. Hmmmm. As they say in Peace Corps Morocco, swya b swya…little by little. It will be interesting to check the confessions next year.
B’slama-we're off to Azrou for 5 days w/all the trainees, Inshallah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn, the pictures are wonderful and help us to visualize your experience. Ahelam is a beautiful girl- those dark eyes! The country looks rugged and exotic. I am not surprised you have embraced the culture with such enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Cathy, Gene and Maggs